Spanish 1.o2 focuses on the basics of sentence creation in Spanish and building language. Central to this 9 week course is verb conjugation, identification of the subject and the verb, and being able to manipulate regular and irregular verbs. The course focuses on practical applications such as making introductions, describing daily tasks and activities, recognizing first, second, and third persons of the verb, and differentiating and properly using high frequency irregular verbs such as ser, estar, tener, ir and haber (hay).
- Regular -ar,-er,-ir verbs and their meanings
- Personality and Physical Traits descriptors (adjectives)
- Body parts
- Places around Town
- Telling Time
- Relative Time
- Regular verb conjugation
- Identifying the subject of the verb
- Irregular verbs: Ser, Estar, Tener, Ir, and Haber (hay)
- Using the definite article with body parts
- Comparisons of Equality and Inequality
- Using para + infinitive to express purpose
- Changing verbs from singular to plural forms
- Recognizing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person singular and plural
- Flip verbs like gustar
- indirect objects
- reflexive verbs
- auxiliary verbs
- Making introductions
- Describing self and others
- Talking about daily schedules and activities
- Expressing destinations and purpose
- Telling time and making appointments
- Creating social media profiles
- Meeting and greeting people and asking questions
- Interviewing Friend
- Talking about family and friends
- Discussing relationships
- Talking about likes and dislikes
- Discussing personal titles and work
Verb Conjugation 101--The Subject Drives the Verb
Students will learn the basics of present tense verb conjugation. The goal of this lesson is to introduce students to these major concepts. These ideas will be continually reinforced throughout he semester.
- subject pronouns
- regular -ar, -er, and -ir verb endings
- the terms person and number
- 1st, 2nd, and third persons singular and plural
Students will learn to conjugate -ar verbs.
They will be able to:
- Identify the subject for each verb conjugation
- Conjugate regular verbs in the present tense
- Identify an infinitive
Students will be assessed on
- What conjugation is
- Present tense -ar/-er/-ir endings
- -ar verb vocabulary and meanings
- How to form -ar verb conjugations (application)
In this lesson students will concentrate on learning the meanings of regular -ar, -er, and -ir verbs. They will be conjugated according to the subject.
More Practice with Verb Conjugation
This lesson emphasizes using verbs in natural speech. The lesson contains a review summary about regular verb conjugation.
Students will learn:
- Full conjugation of the verb hacer
- New words and phrases for making more dynamic and fluid sentences
Students will practice
- Listening to verbs and vocabulary in context
- Speaking and using new phrases in sentences
- Writing and listening comprehension
- Using context clues to put paragraphs together
Students will be assessed on Beach Activity Vocabulary and the verb hacer.
¿Cómo es la persona?
Students will learn a several expressions related to ser and they will learn to ask people what they are like and what they look like.
They will learn the complete present tense (indicative) conjugations of ser.
Students will review the applications of ser and estar.
Students will be able to express their age with tener.
Students will review conjugations of the verb ser, learn the 6 conjugations of tener, and begin to understand the difference in application.
Students will learn and practice physical characteristics descriptors within context as they describe monsters.
Students will review the conjugation and application of the verb ser.
They will describe physical characteristics.
Students will decide whether to use the verb ser or tener in context.
Students will review the applications of ser, estar, hacer, and tener.
Ser and Tener
Students will learn parts of the body, and how to describe the body with tener.
- This lesson includes:
- Quizlet practices and Speak the Word activities.
Students will practice using tener to describe the body.
- They will continue practicing extensive body vocabulary.
- They will create sentences and review grammatical concepts of creating sentences with correctly conjugated forms of ser and tener, as well as adjective-noun placement and concordance.
- Students will practice using the correct definite article with body parts.
- Students will take a pre-quiz so they are able to assess their readiness for the section quiz.
Students will learn the structures for making comparatives and superlatives in Spanish.
Students will learn to make comparisons of equality with tan, tanto/tanta/tantos/tantas and como.
A Dónde Vamos
Students will learn:
- All conjugations of the verb ir
- Contractions al and del
- Places around town
Getting Around Town
Students will learn to talk about which activities can be done in each place around town.
They will learn:
- para + infinitive structures
- se puede + infinitive structures
They will review:
- conjugations of ir
- important verbs and verbal phrases in everyday life
This quiz is comprehensive and tests the following:
- conjugations of ir
- typical usage of ir and ir a +infinitive constructions
- meanings of 5 irregular verbs
- contractions al and del
- places around town
- the meaning and usage of the pronoun se
- the impersonal construction se puede
¿A Qué Hora?
Students will learn basic vocabulary for telling time and be able to ask relevant time-related questions. Students will be able to decide when to use es/son in time-expressions.
En la Casa
The purpose of this lesson is to introduce students to all the ways the infinitive can be used to create more in-depth sentences! Of course they have learned to conjugate, however, it is important to know that conjugating every verb in Spanish is not necessary.
These are the objectives:
- Infinitives as part of Modal/Auxiliary Verb Structures
- Infinitives in General Statements to Express Opinions
- Infinitives as Objects of Prepositions
- Infinitives for Giving General Instruction